Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bar Ministry?

A few weeks ago, my husband and I attended his high school reunion. Due to lack of planning and organization, it was held at a local downtown bar. Neither of us are at a place in our lives where we frequent drinking establishments. We seem to have left that part of us behind with the college, pre-parent versions of us.

I am certainly not legalistic with the matter, and yes we occasionally enjoy a beer or margarita with dinner, but watching people around me become obliterated and turn into obnoxious, close-talking, stumbling versions of themselves is not my ‘cup of tea’.

After catching up with several of the wives, I was sitting on a bar stool, just observing. The husband of one of my friends (an old classmate of my husbands) sat next to me and started chatting. Immediately he asked me about the work we do with the Youth Group at our church, and proceeded to dive into an in-depth conversation about faith, God, marriage, tithing, etc. I could tell his whole purpose in seeking me out was to be able to have a discussion about God. He and his wife have been having troubles, and both of them have drifted away from their faith. He confided in me that his wife feels like she has had too troubled of a past to ever be forgiven.

For the first time, I felt like I was able to answer the questions someone was asking me, and I felt like I could speak knowledgeably about the Lord and scripture. Not that the credit is mine, more than anything, I could feel the Lord speaking through me. I felt like all of the discussing, reading and praying I had been doing had prepared me for that very moment. God had led me to prepare so that He could use me at that very moment, to help someone better understand his faith.

Recently, another friend, who I haven’t spoken to since high school but is a friend on Facebook, sent me a private prayer request. I felt so delighted, not because this person is going through a rough time, but because God is using me to help others. It is so exciting to feel Him working around me. It is so important for us to keep our eyes and ears open for moments to share. Who would have thought that Facebook and a bar would be places of ministry? God is sovereign!

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”- 2 Timothy 3:16-17

My heavenly Father, I ask that you can continue to prepare me to be a sanctuary. Open my heart, ears, mind, and soul to allow Your words to flow through me to help to bring others to You. Help me to minister to others through my actions and my words, so that I might be an example of Jesus Christ in all that I say, think and do. It is in Your holiest name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!