Sunday, January 9, 2011

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU LIE TO ME

Accepting compliments is really hard for me to do.  This isn't a new thing.  The "I love that shirt" kind, I can handle.  Those type are always met with "Thanks, you wouldn't believe the sale I found" or something of that sort.  No, it's the flattering "you look good" (I can hardly even type it) compliments that I have a hard time with.
Even when those kind words come from my husband, it's hard for me to respond with anything other than "thanks, but...", "oh I don't know about that" or my famous "I love it when you lie to me".  I don't know what scares me about simply just saying "thank you", but it's very rare for that to be my response.  Maybe I'm afraid to seem conceited, or maybe I just don't believe that they believe their kind words.

I know that this is something that I need to work on.  When someone sincerely tells you something nice, or compliments you, brushing them off or accusing them of lying (gasp), is somewhat of an insult to the person giving the compliment.  You wouldn't ever open an actual present on Christmas morning and say "thanks, but..." or "I love it when you give me crap".  I really hope you wouldn't anyway.  When someone gives you a compliment, they are giving you a verbal gift.  Accept it with a smile and take it to heart.
A word to the wise, though, while confidence is sexy, vanity is not.  Accepting compliments with grace and humility is a great quality to have, informing others of your great traits they may have skipped over, is not.  You get the idea...
So, needless to say, I am going to add 'accepting compliments' to my long self-improvement checklist.  But, in the meantime, I will not focus on the things I don't do well.  We all have things we need to work on, but God doesn't make bloopers.  We are all His works of art in progress.

Be healthy, love yourself, and remember... you're In Good Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!