Friday, January 21, 2011

Shoot Me In The Foot

I'm not going to lie... I have only worked out twice this week.  Shame on me!  I have excuses though, not good ones, but they're excuses nonetheless... Monday I was sore from slipping on the ice, yesterday my husband told me to stay home because the ice on the roads was so bad, and today... well today I was just feeling lazy (although I got a ton of laundry done, so that's something at least).
There are days in the winter when it is so gloomy, snowy, and cold that the thought of going outside (even just to walk to my car and back) makes me pull my covers tight around me and hunker down.  Then when I do get up early, there are days when I just can't make myself go to the gym.  Then, I feel like crap.  I feel amazing the days I work out, I have more energy, I have more confidence, I eat healthier, I'm in a much better mood.  I know all of these things... so why can't I get my fat rear out of the house some days?!?!  Haven't we talked about self-sabotage before?
Don't we all do this, in some way or another?  You say you don't have enough time for church so you never make time to go.  You say you have a fat belly, it's just your genes; so you double up on the ice cream and steer clear of the gym.  You tell everyone you are dumb; so the people around you start to believe you.  You say you have no energy, so you are exhausted all the time.  It's mind over matter, and it's real.  You can defeat yourself before you even get started.  Probably the longer I call myself fat, the longer I will stay fat.  The longer I allow my self-deprecating humor to persist, the poorer my self-image will be.  The longer I allow myself to not be a morning person, the more often I will skip workouts.
Shouldn't we give ourselves the chance to be who we want to be?  Why do we shoot ourselves in the foot before we allow ourselves to walk?  I hate running with two good feet, it's much harder with a bullet hole through one!!  The thing is, I like working out.  I have fun at the gym.  I love being surprised each day by how much stronger my body is getting.  It's just getting there that's the problem.  I need to figure out a way to not hit snooze, to jump out of bed each day with a smile on my face and to be ready for the day.  Any suggestions?
Give yourself a chance to be great.  Be healthy, love yourself and remember... You're In Good Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!