Friday, July 22, 2011

Better.

Today is much better than yesterday, by far.  I successful made it through the day without cheating on my healthy eating plan.  I felt great at the gym this morning (despite the untimely death of my MP3 player), and have easily made healthy choices at breakfast and lunch.  Would I still like to dive into a pool of chocolate ice cream?  Sure!  But mostly because this awful heat wave is killing me and the swimming pool feels like stale bath-water.  Today I am going to focus not on what I am giving up, but what I am gaining.


By making better choices, I am gaining confidence.  I am gaining muscle tone.  I am gaining energy during the day, more satisfying sleep at night, and the ability to know and understand what my body needs.  I'm not saying that all the positive aspects make it easy (for proof, read yesterday's post).  I'm saying that I feel good.  And that's worth more to me right now than a cheeseburger and a brownie.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not trying to be skinny.  I want to be healthy.  I don't find anything attractive about looking bony.  I want to feel strong and sexy.  I want to look toned and beautiful.  I have no need to see my ribs or spine or hip bones.  But I certainly am sick of seeing a fat, saggy belly that looks like an old, worn-out saddle bag.  I want to live better -- yes to look better -- but mostly to feel better.  And, I'm staying positive in my belief that, eventually, all my hard work will be worth it.


I also want you to know that I understand that my version of healthy may not be the same as your version.  My goal weight may be one that makes you cry.  My weight right now may be your goal.  And that's okay.  You have to define healthy for yourself.  You have to stop letting food control you.  And, most importantly, you have to stop beating yourself up for your perceived imperfections.  Hear me when I say this, You were wonderfully and beautifully made.  Learning to love yourself on the inside means taking care of yourself.  Taking care of yourself means caring for you soul, your mind, your heart (physically and metaphorically), and your body.  Stop wallowing in the excuses you have been making, and, instead, make the decision to be a better version of yourself.  You are already amazing, don't you want to feel that way, too?


You don't have to spend loads of time at the gym to get healthy and feel amazing.  Just do a little bit each day.  Find what you love and roll with it.  Throw around some weights, if that's your thing.  Yoga it up if you are feeling bendy.  Mix it up, move your body.  Get strong.  Treat your workout like any other appointment or meeting that you can't cancel.  And you don't have to starve yourself to lose inches.  But you do have to make better decisions.  You don't have to use any fancy diet plans, because diets don't work.  Ask yourself if that cinnamon roll will really give you the satisfaction you have been craving.  Maybe a sweet apple with natural peanut butter would be a wiser choice.  Find a friend to be your workout or accountability partner.  Pray for guidance in moments of weakness.  Ask the Lord to help you in your journey of finding health.  No one said you had to do this alone.  But know that you can do it.


Be healthy.  Love yourself.  And thanks for keeping me In Good Company.


1 comment:

Please leave your comment below!