Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fran

Here is what I learned today: Fran is an ogress*.

*I am using the word ogress in place of a less-kind word for a mean lady -- gotta keep it kid-friendly, folks. 

No I haven't stooped to bad-mouthing my frenemies online; the Fran I'm referring to was today's WOD in CrossFit.


After a grueling warm-up (seriously, whoever invented Burpees is not my friend <although I think they would have been easier if my pants wouldn't have kept trying to fall down>), and some lessons on form and technique; we jumped into Fran.

My CrossFit sisters and I speculated that the workouts are named after people who died doing CrossFit.  Seems logical.  We learned, however, that there is a set of classic CrossFit workouts that are all named after women and are referred to as 'The Nasty Girls'.  This is a fun fact that I found to be incredibly amusing - and I laughed an inappropriate amount.

Anyway, back to Fran... Fran is a 21:15:9 format and is performed for time.  The workout consists of 21 Thrusters (I used 25 lbs), 21 Pull-ups, 15 Thrusters, 15 Pull-ups, 9 Thrusters, 9 Pull-ups.  My time was 3:41, which I am proud of, but I don't want to disillusion you.  I do not yet have the forearm strength to complete a standard pull-up (I performed jumping pull-ups, with the bar only 6 inches above my head) and the front-squat portion of my Thrusters is not nearly low enough.
Even though I know I am not where I want to be with my workouts, I can feel myself improving each time, not only in strength, but in endurance.  This is only my second week into CrossFit and I can tell a huge difference in body, the way I feel (I'm sore in places I didn't even know existed), and in the quality of my workouts.  I am addicted and I think I am becoming an adrenaline junkie.  When I leave the group training session, I am so pumped up about what I have completed that I find myself looking forward to next time.  Also, I ran -- yes ran -- following CrossFit both days this week.  My running didn't last very long, but this is a huge deal for me. My body is becoming stronger each day.  Even my Yoga form is improving.  And, I'm proud to announce that I am no longer plateaued at 183, today I weighed in* at 181 (this means I am one pound away from getting my Vibrams).

*I am not putting too much emphasis on weight, I am just really excited about seeing continual progress, and doubly excited about getting to reward my progress with new shoes.

Drenched in sweat following a WOD.
I know I mentioned this in my last post, but I so love the company of the girls who are on this journey with me.  Each time I go to class, I worry that I won't be able to do the WOD or that I might look silly (or worse -- fat).  I know that without those ladies (and our fantastic trainer, Chad) cheering me on, I would have already quit this program one hundred times over.  I would have deemed it too hard, said my body wasn't ready for it, called it for fitness fanatics.  And, you know what?  It is hard (Last Friday's WOD was probably physically the hardest thing I've ever done, aside from childbirth), my body screams at me during the workouts, and maybe it is a bit fanatical.  But it's fun.  So fun.  And I'm not going to let negative thoughts stop me from continuing.  I know that each person in class is learning something new about herself (endurance, perseverance, will-power, strength, coordination, etc.).  I am so excited to keep going on this journey, to keep learning, and to watch my CrossFit sisters grow along side me.

Our CrossFit class (minus Lisa): Me, Kerri, Olivia, Mary Kay, Shelly, Robin, Heather, and Chad (our trainer)
Be healthy.  Go do something that makes you sweat.  And thank you for keeping me... In Good Company.


--- Because I didn't mention it, and just in case you are curious, here is Monday's WOD.  You can view stats and times in the comments section on each individual post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!