Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Kelsey Lately

I have been trying to schedule time each week to sit down and write.  But it seems like life just keeps getting in the way!  I feel like I keep apologizing for leaving you high and dry, so I'm not going to do that this time.  No, wait, I am.  It's in my nature to always be sorry for something.  So I'm sorry.  Do you forgive me?

Instead of jumping into a regular post, I am going to catch you up to speed on all the randomness in my life, in a little piece I like to call:


Kelsey Lately: Random Ramblings
*disclaimer: I cannot promise you there will be any rhyme, reason, or systematic approach to what follows*

-------
Every night at bedtime, my husband and I read a few Bible stories to our 2 year old son.  He looks forward to listening to the stories, looking at the illustrations, and talking about the characters.  I've been really excited that he even asks for us to read him the "Bible Stow-WEES."  His comments usually make us giggle (like the time he pointed to the picture of John baptizing Jesus and said "Look!  Jesus is splashing!").  So last week, we were at a local restaurant and there was a waiter who kept walking by our table.  This waiter had a LOT of shaggy brown hair and a scruffy beard.  Every time our son saw him he shouted "JOHN!"  I started laughing, because I know the only John we know is the John from the pictures in his Bible.  So I corrected him and said "No buddy, that's not John."  He looked at me and said, "Not John?" *long pause* "Not Jesus?"  At that point my husband and I are laughing hysterically, explain to our son, that the no, the waiter is not, in fact, Jesus.  For the rest of the evening every time we saw this waiter, our son would say, "John?  Not John.  John?  Not John."
"Look!  Jesus is splashing!"


-------

One evening I did a hip-shaking gliding dance move through the living room, while singing "Oooooooh I got moves like Jagger." My husband looked at me with a look that screamed fear/curiosity/amusement. "What in the hell are you doing?" "Um... I've got moves like Jagger," I said, "Duh."





-------

I overheard my husband talking to his brother last night on the phone. They were discussing a sports formula to help them decipher who was going to win all of the March Madness games. What's that? Why yes they are both engineers. Why do you ask? This is the conversation we had after he ended his phone call:

"So you think you guys are going to go all Rain Man in Vegas?"
"We're just trying this formula out to see if it works."
"You know, normal people just make bets and have fun while doing it."
"And that's why the lights are still on in Vegas."
"Don't be pushy, if no one else wants to bet like you, then let them do their thing."
"I know. This is his idea, too."
"Did you make him watch Moneyball?"

After his face went red and a long pause he answered with a quiet, "Yeah."

-------

The aforementioned dinner was last Monday evening.  We went out for a late dinner after having spent the early evening hours saying goodbye to "Bessie" and hello to "Fran".  We sold my Regal (Bessie) to the teenage daughter of a friend of ours (who was able to pay cash for the car -- talk about responsible!), and bought a LaCrosse (Fran) from a lovely family down the street.  It was way too late to start cooking, my husband was getting ready to leave the next morning for a week-long business trip, and I had really been craving seafood.  So we chose a restaurant based on the shrimp deliciousness factor.  Nothing alarmed me about the spicy slugs (as my dad calls them) while I was eating them, but about seven hours later, I woke up with food poisoning.

The next few days were awful.  My son was grouchy because I couldn't pay much attention to him between bathroom trips and clutching my stomach in pain, my husband was on the other side of the country, and we have no family in this small town.  After a breakdown of epic proportions, I decided that my messy house and vomit scented hair didn't need to be hidden any longer, I swallowed my pride (the only thing I'd been able to keep down all day), and asked for help.

I prefer not to be a burden on anyone, so asking for help doesn't come naturally to me.  But a dear friend arrived, in what seemed like seconds, armed with soup and lots of motherly love for me, and grandmotherly love for my son.  I bawled in her arms for a moment, apologizing for my rancid smell.  I was able to shower and rest while she took care of pajamas, diaper changes, cooking soup, and toy cleanup.  It was all I could do to stay put, and she kept telling me to lay back down when I tried to help (I have a really hard time not being the one who is doing the care-taking).  Honestly, I think her presence was more healing than anything else.  I also received several phone calls from another dear friend, who was nudged in my direction by my very worried husband (who felt horribly guilty for not being able to stay home and care for us).  Feeling sick is horrible, but feeling sick and alone is worse.  I am thankful beyond belief for the love of the two dear friends who cared for me.

-------

Several weeks ago, we spent a long weekend in the Kansas City area, visiting my family.  We had a wonderful, busy weekend.  My parents were able to drive up as well, so our time was extra fun.  I adore Kansas City for all of the fun activities for kids, many of which are completely free.  We paraded through Union Station, visited the model train exhibit, squeezed through the crowds at Crown Center, let our boys go a little crazy at Little Monkey Bizness, and did a some shopping.  My husband and I were even able to make it to a Kansas Jayhawks game.

My sister and I with our boys.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
-------

A while back, you might remember me joking about needing diamonds when I hit my next weight goal.  Well apparently there were ears listening!  I haven't hit that 160 lb mark yet, but at Valentine's Day, my husband surprised me with a beautiful diamond bracelet!  I was really taken aback, because February 14th isn't a heavily celebrated day in our house... we usually just do the card, candy, pat on the booty thing.  I immediately went from feeling excited and thankful to feeling awful.  I murmured.... "Um, I got you a sweatshirt."  He lovingly told me that this bracelet wasn't just for Valentine's Day, it was also because he was so very proud of me.  I snagged a good one when I picked that husband of mine.

Our Valentine's Day dinner was equally as wonderful.  It was not glamorous, but it was very us.  I made chocolate dipped strawberries, set the table, and my husband "cooked."
My funny Valentines.

Pink Peanut Butter Cookies for the gym daycare Valentine's Day party
(don't worry, I checked for allergies before I made them).

Chocolate Covered Strawberries.

I set the table...
...and my husband cooked.  You'll notice that it's Coor's Light in his
wine glass, and Diet Coke in mine.
-------

Speaking of diet soda...  I have given up on 'The Hooch' again for Lent (along with sweets... I know, I don't eat sweets anyway, but I figured if I was craving soda and couldn't have it I would go straight for chocolate).  I tell you what, the first few days were really horrible.  I had a pounding headache and even wrote a love letter to Diet Dr. Pepper on Facebook.  Now that I'm over the caffeine cravings, I am only rarely longing for a sip of dark-fizzy-goodness (I have even lost 3 more pounds... but that could be from the food poisoning).  Last year our trip to Las Vegas killed my Lenten sacrifice, hopefully this year I will be able to stay strong on our upcoming getaway.  My thoughts have occasionally been drifting to margaritas and Serendipity 3, and I have been wondering if I have really thought this through...  Although in preparation for this trip, I have been less worried about hitting restaurants, and more worried about finding a fitness facility that is well enough equipped for a CrossFit workout.
Hello lover...
-------

And, last but not least, my face wound up on the picture below.  You don't need to know any more than this: I love my CrossFit sisters.
-------

Now that we are caught up, let's try to meet more often, shall we?
Thank you, as always, for keeping me In Good Company.

1 comment:

  1. there are so many reasons that I love this post... and I love seeing you and Kepple at the Y. I'm glad we've met!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment below!