Monday, February 18, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day

Last Thursday we celebrated St. Valentine's Day -- or as married women around the country refer to it: "Shit, I have to shave above the knee" day.
The chalkboard that hangs in my dining room.

Honestly, since becoming the mother of a toddler, all of those gushy Valentine's Day commercials on TV make me roll my eyes a bit.  Maybe I need to search out my inner-romantic that is probably hiding somewhere.

This was what our celebration of love looked like:
I baked Valentine's Themed
Brown Sugar Blondies (modified slightly with twice the M&Ms)
for my little guy's party at the gym's daycare...


...prepared Cars 2 Valentines (complete with a themed pencil and M&Ms)
for him to take to his little friends...

...dressed him in festive colors
(you can see that he snagged a pencil and wouldn't put it down)...

...he wouldn't say his usual "cheese-burgers", he had to scream:
"CARS PENCIL!"
 
After teaching Yoga, working on some lifts, and completing a quick CrossFit WOD.  I picked up my munchkin (who was then high-on-sugar from the party) and headed home -- only slightly angry that I was toting a bag full of candy (given to him from his friends) that I couldn't so much as taste because of my sacrifice of sweets for Lent.

I made him a special Valentine's lunch.

But his 30 year old girlfriend, Jen, brought him an
awesome new toy and candy so he was way too busy to eat.

She also brought me a gift of Red Velvet flavored coffee.
D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S
The rest of the afternoon included a toddler play date, and some mommy-talk time (coffee included) with a dear friend who I don't get to see nearly enough.  While the play date resulted in my living room looking like it had been hit by, well, two toddlers, it also resulted in a nice long nap (for him, not me).

That evening my husband and I exchanged cards and I made a whole grain chicken and broccoli Stromboli for dinner.  Which means we spent our "romantic" dinner trying to bribe our toddler in order to get him to eat the food on his plate.  After we wrestled him down to sleep, my husband fell asleep on the couch next to me as I watched a transgender woman receive a makeover on TLC's What Not to Wear.  See what I mean?  Pure romance.

Saturday evening, my husband and I were able to go on a kid-free Valentine's date, thanks to my visiting in-laws.
My funny Valentine (who is thrilled to have his picture taken).

We drove to a nearby town and started our evening with a little shopping and some strong coffee.

I just love a good double-caffeine sugar-free iced vanilla espresso from Starbucks.
We took our liquid energy into what is probably our favorite store (Dick's Sporting Goods) to try on shoes.  My husband bought me a pair of Brooks PureConnect 2, which I am super excited about.  Happy Valentine's Day to me!
Hooray for new CrossFitting shoes!

Our evening ended with dinner at the bar of PF Changs (we couldn't miss the KU basketball game), where I thoroughly enjoyed three Coconut Lemon Sours, 2 Spring Rolls, and Honey Mango Chicken with Lo Mien -- what?!  Calories don't count on date night!


Yum.
Because we were exhausted, we forewent our original plans of ice-skating, bowling, or a movie, and drove the hour back home to change in to our jammies and catch the end of the KU game.  We are so exciting, and not getting old at all.
We were greeted by our very-hyper munchkin who had been
on quite the date with Grandma & Grandpa.

After our date.  Again, my husband is super thrilled
to be having his picture taken.

I hope that you and your families enjoyed the celebration of St. Valentine, and that you are surrounded by, receiving, and giving love daily.  Thank you for reading, and, as always, thank you for keeping me In Good Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!