Begin by heating your oven to 350 degrees. Wash three sweet red bell peppers and slice the tops off of each. Remove the seeds. Stand each pepper up next to each other in a small baking dish (8x8). Chop the "lids" of the peppers into small pieces and set aside for future use.
In a large skillet, brown one pound of lean ground turkey breast (I prefer, at maximum, 7% fat). Drain the fat from the browned meat and return to skillet. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground cumin, a teaspoon of sea salt, and a 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes.
Allow mixture to simmer ten minutes.
Meanwhile, create 1 cup of riced cauliflower out of fresh cauliflower florets. I do not have a ricer, so I use my hand chopper to create finely chopped pieces.
Add cauliflower and 1/4 cup of natural medium-heat chunky salsa to skillet. Allow to simmer 5 minutes more.
I had enough leftover filling to make another one or two peppers, but decided to store it for use as a delicious taco filling.
Cover filled peppers with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop two green onions and measure 1/2 cup of fine-cut shredded cheese (I prefer Sargento off the block: 4 cheese Mexican).
Remove baked peppers from the oven, and sprinkle cheese evenly over the tops. Then place the pan back into the oven and bake, uncovered, for 5 additional minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion pieces. Serve and devour!
I served these with steamed asparagus, multi-grain tortilla chips, and natural medium-heat chunky salsa.
I was tempted to eat the last pepper, but decided to leave it for my husband to have for lunch tomorrow (he rated this meal an 8.5 out of ten). My toddler negated to eat this meal and had this instead:
|Blueberries, nitrate-free all beef hot dog, mozzarella cheese, |
raw natural almonds, pretzels, and "octagon crackers" (multi-grain Wheat Thins)
Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 1/2 TBSP ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 cup riced cauliflower
1/4 cup medium-heat chunky salsa
3 red bell peppers
1/2 cup fine cut shredded cheese
2 green onions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash red peppers and slice the tops off each pepper. Remove seeds. Stand each pepper up next to each other in a small baking dish (8x8). Chop red portions of pepper "lids" and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, brown ground turkey until fully cooked. Drain. Return to skillet. Add cumin, salt, pepper pieces, and crushed tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
3. Add riced cauliflower and salsa to skillet, combining completely. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
4. Fill each red pepper with turkey mixture. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle each pepper evenly with cheese. Bake, uncovered, an additional 5 minutes - or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion pieces.
5. Serve and enjoy In Good Company.