Monday, March 11, 2013

No-Bake Energy Balls

I was going to write a real post today.  But I can't.  I just can't.  Not until you know about the most delicious non-sweet that I have ever had.  Ever.  Even my husband was in heaven.  They were so delicious that he asked me if they were legal to have during our Lenten sacrifice of sweets -- as if I'm Eve handing him the forbidden fruit.

I, of course, found the recipe on Pinterest.  I also, of course, I changed it (partially because I didn't have everything in my cupboard, partially because I'm only a selective rule follower).  The original recipe came from a great blog entitled Gimme Some Oven.
Heaven in a ball.
These are so ridiculously easy to make, that I feel weird even calling it a recipe.  There is no intense whipping or measuring or baking or slaving.  You literally dump, stir, refrigerate, and roll.

Begin by measuring out 1 cup dry oats (I use whole grain, old fashioned oats), 1 Tablespoon natural unsweetened cocoa, 1/2 cup milled flax seed, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (I prefer Smucker's), 2/3 cup coconut flakes (the original recipe says to use toasted flakes, I did not), 1/3 cup raw natural honey, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract; pour them all into a large mixing bowl.
Stir until all ingredients are combined.
Sneak a few bites of deliciousness, and then place the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Remove from the refrigerator and, using your hands, form 1-inch balls.  This should make approximately 18-20 balls -- unless you ate too much with a spoon earlier.
 
Enjoy!  That's really it!  So simple, quite healthy, and incredibly delicious.  I am likely going to make these every week for the rest of my life -- you may even see different varieties pop up on here.  I'm very anxious to try these with protein powder instead of the flax seed, maybe chopped almonds instead of raisens... the possibilities really are endless.  My husband rated these a 8.75, obviously a much bigger hit than the Baked Cinnamon Quinoa Bars.
 
For your preparation ease, I have posted this in recipe-form below. Again, if you would like to view the original recipe, click here.


No-Bake Energy Balls
Recipe makes 18-20 balls

Ingredients:

1 cup 100% Whole Grain Old Fashioned Oats, dry
1 Tbsp Natural Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 cup Milled Flax Seed
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
2/3 cup Coconut Flakes
1/3 cup Raw Natural Honey
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions:
1. Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Stir until ingredients are combined.
2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from refrigerator, and form mixture into 1" balls.
4. Enjoy In Good Company.
5. Store remaining balls in the refrigerator in a covered container.

1 comment:

  1. Adding a little coconut oil to the energy balls helps with shelf life and adds nutritious fatty acids to the mix as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment below!