Monday, March 25, 2013

The Best Guacamole. Ever.

I love avocados.  Love them.  What I love even more is guacamole.  I love the creaminess meddled with spice and the crunch of fresh veggies used for dipping.  Until tonight, I had never made 100% homemade guacamole.  Always I have used a spice packet that includes a million unheard of ingredients and even more sodium.
I started with three ripe organic avocados.
Added a tablespoon of lime juice and a teaspoon of sea salt.
And then I started mashing.  I just recently bought this potato smasher.  It makes me feel very Laura Ingalls.
 
I added a teaspoon of organic minced garlic, 1/2 of a yellow onion (chopped), a large tomato (seeded and chopped), and a heaping quarter cup of chopped fresh cilantro.
 
 
Then I stirred it all together.  Finally, I added 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and stirred again.  Allow the flavors to marry and meddle for on hour in the refrigerator before serving.  The freshness and boldness of the flavors will make your taste buds beg for more.  I was honestly happy to eat it with a spoon.  No dipping required.

My husband, who swears avocados taste like ground up tree leaves and grass, rated this an 8.63 (he's an engineer and is very specific) and he asked for seconds.
Serve with fresh veggies (or chips if that's more your style) and enjoy In Good Company.


For your preparation ease, I have included this in recipe format below.

The Best Guacamole.  Ever.

Ingredients:
3 ripe organic avocados
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 Teaspoon sea salt
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon organic minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.

Directions:
1.  Remove avocado meat from peels and discard stones.  Place in medium-sized mixing bowl.  Add lime juice and sea salt, mash to desired consistency.
2.  Add tomato, onion, garlic, and cilantro.  Stir.
3.  Add in crushed red pepper.  Stir.
4.  Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
5.  Serve with fresh vegetables for dipping and enjoy In Good Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!