Tuesday, December 10, 2013

So I got a job...


So I got a job.

At first it didn’t feel like the timing was right.  Because I wasn’t planning on going back to work until Little K went to kindergarten.  I was really counting on having another year and a half of being a full-time mommy.

But an opportunity dropped itself in my lap.  The sort of opportunity that felt divinely orchestrated.  An opportunity to work for a dear friend, part-time, at a non-profit counseling center, where I could work from home a good percentage of the time, and can take Little K with me to the office should I ever need to.

I pondered and talked and thought and prayed and worried and thought and pondered and talked and prayed about it until I finally decided that I would not ever have this sort of opportunity drop in my lap again.

As much as I love being a stay-at-home-mom right now, I want even more to be the mom later who can go to school programs and class parties, to be able to pick Little K up from school if he gets sick, to be able to pull him out of school on a whim for a birthday lunch at his favorite restaurant.  And this opportunity, fulfills this.

We have been talking for a long time about looking for a new house, but have been resigned to the fact that we would stay in our adorable little house forever because houses in our town are priced so insanely high.  I had accepted that I would forever be sharing one tiny bathroom with two boys.

This job, if I work exactly 20 hours each week, pays exactly our current mortgage.

Two weeks after I started working, we found a home we were interested in seeing.  A home that now belongs to our old next-door neighbors.  A home with really good bones, that could use some interior paint and maybe eventually some tile, with two and a half bathrooms, in the area we want to move, for a price that isn’t scary.  We put in an offer.  The next day it was accepted.

A week later we listed our house.  In less than 48 hours we received an offer.  A few hours later we agreed on a price.

Divine orchestration.                                                                             

God is present even in the moments where we aren’t looking.  I wasn’t planning on going back to work.  But I also hadn’t realized how lost I had become in the identity of only being mommy.  This job has been so good in more ways than one.  I now have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, I feel like I am contributing, and I have a reason to put on makeup, which is nice – and Mr. B admittedly appreciates.

Adjusting to being a part-time worker, while continuing to be a full-time mom hasn’t been easy – for Little K or for me – but it has been good for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!