Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Go-To Chicken Recipe


I love to cook.  And by that I mean that I love to cook in a clean kitchen, with my music playing, and no one is asking for a snack or crying or complaining that I’m cooking something “masty”.

So about once a month, I love cooking.  Unfortunately, my family expects to be fed every. single. day.  I never feel like I have enough time to come up with something different and healthy delicious and kid-friendly.  My go-to meal is baked chicken paired with a steamed vegetable.  And when I say, steamed vegetables, I mean frozen steam-in-the-bag veggies.  What did you expect?  Rachael Ray?

Baked chicken, fresh avocado, steamed broccoli,
and a slice of Pamela's gluten/wheat/dairy free bread.

My chicken is a self-created recipe that is so easy it’s embarrassing to even call it a recipe.  Really I think it might be a collaboration of several different recipes I used to know by heart but am too lazy to follow all the directions.  Luckily it is seriously delicious.  A combination of crispy and juicy.  I always use an organic chicken (such as Smart Chicken), because there really is a difference in the taste and texture.

To start, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.  Line a deep baking sheet with foil and then drizzle walnut oil on the foil (you can also use olive oil if that’s what you have on hand).

Place 6-8 bone-in chicken thighs on the foil one at a time, skin side up.  I put them on one at a time because I rub the bottom side in the oil.  Next, drizzle a little walnut (or olive) oil on top of the thighs, and sprinkle with Spike seasoning and ground black pepper.  Sometimes I mix up the seasoning a little, maybe I’ll do garlic powder with rosemary, or a mesquite chicken seasoning.  But my go-to is always Spike and pepper.

Now bake them for 45-53 minutes (or until the juices run clear when cut).  Drink a glass of wine while you wait.

Serve them with veggies and enjoy In Good Company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!