Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Lamp Makeover Tutorial

Lamp Makeover Tutorial
Lamp Makeover Tutorial
Before and After
I have a confession.  I have never, as an adult, bought a set of matching lamps.  Our house has a few sort of coordinating singular lamps that are mostly gifts or hand-me-downs.  I suppose there are other, more pressing things that need to be bought.
I set out on a mission to purchase new lamps for our grown-up bedroom, because, for the first time ever, we have room for two bedside tables.  Then I realized that lamps are effing expensive!  Possibly I have expensive taste.  But I quickly found that I am far too frugal for fancy lighting.

This set is $162.00 from Overstock.com:


Two of these are $144.00 at Target.com:

                                                                                    

Then I found these lovelies.
Lamp Makeover Tutorial


Okay so they weren’t exactly lovely when I spotted them.  But they had a great shape and were $4 for the set.  Totally worth the gamble.

I bought $12 worth of spray paint in a lovely yellow and gun-metal grey.

Lamp Makeover Tutorial

After wiping the bases down with rubbing alcohol, we (and by we, I mean Mr. B) taped off the electrical portions that shouldn’t be covered in paint.  If I knew what these parts were called, I would be an electrician, not a writer.

Lamp Makeover Tutorial

Because I selected a high-gloss paint, we began the process with a spray-on primer.

Lamp Makeover Tutorial

Once the primer was fully dry, we applied 3 coats of the glossy yellow (making sure to allow the paint to dry completely between coats).

Because Mr. B has an infinite amount more patience than me when it comes to these sort of projects, we let the paint dry overnight.  Using newspaper and painters tape, we left only the lowest portion of the base exposed and applied two coats of the gunmetal grey.

I found two lovely lamp shades costing $14 each that worked perfectly.  Voila!  Two beautiful like-new and matching lamps for $44 total.  You guys, that’s a savings of over $100!

Lamp Makeover Tutorial
Lamp Makeover Tutorial


Keep your eye out at thrift stores and re-use it centers for items with lovely shapes and spruce them up with a little rouge!  I’d love to see pictures of what you come up with in the comments section.

Thank you for keeping me In Good Company.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!