Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

I am not usually one to participate in New Year’s resolutions, or to buy into the whole “everything will change in the new year” mindset.  But this year, oh how I cannot wait for this year to end.

Between moving, and fertility treatments, and back injuries, and multiple illnesses, and depression, and replacing an entire HVAC system, and major car repairs, and four surgeries for our dogs, and a toilet overflowing and leaking into the basement, and waning faith, and receiving horrible messages from hateful negative people who hate both me and my writing, and just simply burning our candles at both ends while asking for more wax; this year has been mentally, physically, and financially exhausting.

Honestly, it would be easy to write a whole post of complaints.  But I don’t believe a new attitude will begin in January by some miraculous change in date.  So, I am electing to look back at our year and see the positives in it.  Because even amidst the bad, good things are there if we choose to see them.




{January}
-         -We moved into our new house.  We were certain we would never find a bigger house in this town’s overpriced market, but we found one that we loved in our price range.  Immediately we began painting and ripping down wallpaper and redecorating with the help of our parents.  Although Daisy was completely freaked out by the move, the rest of us adjusted fairly quickly.  Little K loves his big bedroom and thinks it’s super awesome to have stairs.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
New house keys in hand!
-         -We also took little K to see Monster Jam.  Best day ever for him!




{February}
-         -I achieved my first rope climb at CrossFit (and haven’t done one since) and was super pumped about it!  I also increased my deadlift to 205 pounds – something I had been working towards for quite a while.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures




{March}
-        - We had front row seats to a KU game at Allen Fieldhouse, and it was a blast.  I am not a huge sports fan outside of the Jayhawks and The CrossFit Games, but I always get chills in that place.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
-         -Daisy had to have surgery on her bladder and we almost lost her.  But thanks to our amazing veterinarian and his caring staff, we have our baby girl home.  She is happy and healthy and feeling so much better.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Pre-surgery snuggles



{April}
-         -We celebrated our first Easter in the new house and it was really quite wonderful.  It was a weekend of new beginnings for us, as that is when we decided to forgo any more fertility treatments and get out lives back to normal.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -Mr. B celebrated turning 32 with a homemade German Chocolate Cake from yours truly.

-         -We enjoyed a fun weekend with some of our closest friends, who came to visit.  They moved away three years ago and we miss them dearly.  They are the kind of friends that you can be completely comfortable in the silent moments, but also feel like there are never enough hours or minutes to say all that needs to be said or tell all the stories that need to be retold for the hundredth time.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Getting a picture of all three of them was tough!

-         -Mr. B built (with my assistance bossing) a beautiful farmhouse table and benches for our dining room.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures




{May}
-         -We adopted our sweet Ruby, who has been the perfect addition to our family.  I believe she needed us just as much as we needed her.  I’m not sure what our lives were like before she rescued us.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Little K and Ruby Sue

-         -We hosted a post-parade barbecue for a local holiday.  It was a fun day with lots of food, so many margaritas, and great friends.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -Little K got to spend some time at my parents’ house for a few days and was able to spend some quality time with his little buddy Phish (who is the son of my life-long best friend, Linds).
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Ridin' Tough



{June}
-         -Little K went to Vacation Bible School for the first time.  He learned lots of new songs and had so many great questions (like: “Why did Jesus have to save us from sin?”  “Is sin a bad guy?”  “How come God didn’t just tell sin to be nice?”
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -Little K asked me on a date to Tropical Sno, and I happily obliged.

A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Who could say no?



{July}
-         -Little K made huge strides in the water.  We had the opportunity to swim at our friends’ pool and the continual exposure was better for his confidence than any swim lesson he had been in.  He even jumped off the diving board.  So brave!
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Safety (and fashion) first.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Getting his ears wet was a huge deal.

-         -Little K also got to go to “Camp Grandma & Grandpa” for a week with my parents.  As expected, he came back spoiled and happy.  But mostly spoiled.  And also spoiled.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Headed to "Camp Grandma & Grandpa"
-         -We celebrated Independence Day with my family and it was a great day (except for when a ladybug flew down my throat and I subsequently threw up in front of 15 people).
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Chlorine scented, sun burned, marshmallow covered, dirty, sticky, firework obsessed, all boy.

-         -These three fell madly deeply in love with one another.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
It's a big, big world out there.



{August}
-         -We celebrated 10 years of wedded bliss by spending a weekend out of town, just Mr. B and me.  We ate delicious food, drank delicious drinks, ate yummy ice cream, shopped, took naps, went to the movies, and just enjoyed our time together.  It was wonderful.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Still in love after 10 years of marriage.
-         -Little K went to Exploration Place for the first time and had a blast.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
You can see he was a fan of the "Medieval Time Out"
-         -We started “Little K makes dinner Mondays” – which really means, we ate French Bread Pizza every Monday for a month and then quit.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -We said a temporary goodbye as our sweet babysitter went off to college.  She has been so good for Little K, and we are happy to have her be part of our family.  We are all looking forward to having her back this summer.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
She was so sweet to wear a Ninja Turtle shirt on her last day with us.
-         -Little K started Pre-Kindergarten.  I have no idea how he got so big.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
His goals for the future are epic.
-         -We all participated in the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS (and donated).
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -We went to a nearby lake for a fun weekend with my in-laws.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures




{September}
-         -Little K got his first baseball glove and also went hunting with daddy for the first time.  Both things were equally big deals.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
His name was "Hosmer" for several weeks.  #beroyal
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -My mom had back surgery and came out of surgery a new woman.  Goodbye back pain!!
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Pre-surgery groupie usie selfie group picture.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Beautiful mom.  Beautiful sister.
-         -We celebrated our nephew’s 7th birthday.  I don’t know where time has gone.

-         -I went to an all-day arts and craft fair with my one of my best friends, Ash.  One of the best days of the whole year.



{October}
-         -We celebrated our niece’s 2nd birthday.  She is my favorite sassy little red-head.

-         -Little K was (surprise!) a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for Halloween.  He was absolutely spoiled by his Aunt G, several of our other friends and neighbors, and both sets of Grandparents.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Go Ninja!  Go Ninja!  Go!



{November}
-         -We went to the beautiful wedding of the daughter of my dad’s best friend since kindergarten.  It was a beautiful evening, and we were delighted to see so many familiar faces.  Quote of the night was from Little K, who said in a tone usually reserved for a drunk frat boy at the bar, “I’m gonna get cake tonight.”
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-        - I helped judge a CrossFit competition for the first time at my home gym.  It was an exhausting but oh-so-fun experience.  I hope to be able to compete next year.

-         -Unexpectedly, I was offered a job at our veterinarian’s office.  Though I am sad to leave my current job (mostly because of my close friendship with my boss), I could not be more excited to work around such great people.  And, you know, DOGS!

-         -This picture of my three beautiful kids happened (my mom takes lovely photographs).
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures

-         -We learned that Little K really does look just like my dad.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Little "Fireball"
-         -Thanksgiving was spent at my childhood home and it was perfect.  The best part, besides getting to see my awesome family, was the rolls.  My grandma was revered for her rolls and I had never been able to replicate them, despite my efforts.  I did all of the prep-work the day before turkey day, which happened to be Grandma’s birthday, and I used her pan, which my mom happened to have.  I felt her with me all day.  They were baked on Thanksgiving morning and they were delicious.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
YAAAAAAY Gluten!

A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
My people.

-         -My mom, sister and I went marathon shopping on Saturday.  It was a bit calmer than the year before, but we had a blast nonetheless.  We drank lots of coffee, laughed until our stomachs hurt, watched inappropriate YouTube videos in the car (look up “Loophole” by Garfunkel & Oates – super not safe for work, by the way, but absolutely hysterical), ate delicious food, and then wrapped presents until 2 a.m.  This day, by far, is my favorite day of the whole year.  I am already looking forward to Black Saturday 2015.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
"Black Saturday, we own you!"
-         -One new yet old experience was a dinner at Chili’s that same Saturday.  It was just my parents and my sister and I.  I bet we haven’t done something just the four of us in over ten years.  We laughed loud, drank too much, and taught my dad the beauty of the word douche (because it is like wine, and can be paired with anything).  The highlight of the evening was when he said, “DOUCHE CANOE?!?!” at an inappropriate volume.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Ber and I at dinner.


{December}
-         -The elf came back.  By the way, I am not a fan of whoever invented that little bastard.  We consistently forget to move ours, and, because I didn’t want to buy the expensive creepy one, I bought a non-pose-able plush elf that I randomly found last year at Books-A-Million.  We don’t do cute and creative things with it, as it is also exhausted by the Christmas season so it just sits on different things in the house.  Which, Little K is thrilled with.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Hello Elfie.  So we meet again...

-         -Little K’s birthday curse came back.  The birthday curse is that he gets super sick the week of his birthday every single year (and then shares it with me for my birthday week).  This year wasn’t nearly as bad as last year and we were still able to have his birthday party.  The present situation looked more like a toy-drive thanks to Grandparents, Aunt, Uncles, and friends.  He was in Ninja-Turtle-Rescue-Bot heaven.
A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Little K and his favorite cousin, who he is sure hung the moon.
Our little family.
-         -Little K turned 5.  Someone said once that in motherhood the days are long and the years are short.  I cannot explain just how true this is.  I feel like every evening when he goes to bed, the day has drug on and on.  But at the same time I am certain that I blinked just a little too long and he we turned 5 right after he turned 2.  I will always think of him at this age as super sassy yet super sweet, innocently honest, hilarious, whiney, kind, a lover of dogs, and a Ninja Turtle enthusiast.

A Year in Blurbs and Pictures
Happy birthday, my handsome baby boy!
-        - Tonight Mr. B and I watched Little K sing with his class in his school’s Christmas program.  It was just as adorable as we predicted.
Little K and Mr. B
-         -Even though Little K and I have been taking turns being miserably sick for several weeks, Mr. B has been amazing.  He has helped keep the household running and everything clean when I haven’t been able to.  I’m so glad to have such a wonderful partner in this life – I couldn’t do it without him.

-         -This week I will turn 31.  And I’m definitely more okay with it than I was 30.  Because what can you do?  Also Mr. B bought me a KitchenAid Artisan Mixer, so that softens the blow of aging a bit.

-         -For Christmas we will celebrate with our families and we will likely go out for drinks with my BFF, Linds, and her husband while we are back home.

-         -For New Year’s, Ash and her family will come back to help us ring in 2015.  I can’t imagine a better end to the year than an evening full of laughter with close friends (unless we were at a resort, because beaches and endless margaritas).


---------------------------


We are all moving into the next year with only minor bumps and bruises.  I have learned the importance of genuine friendship and honesty.  I have gained confidence in myself and my writing.  Most importantly, we are loved, truly and deeply, by each other, our friends, and our family.  So, yeah, I guess you could say it’s been a pretty good year, after all.

Thank you, as always, for keeping me In Good Company.





Like this post?  Try these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!