Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Breathe

Recently I was diagnosed with Adult-Onset Asthma.  Nothing is cooler than finding out you have asthma at age 31.  In all honesty, I’ve probably had Exercise-Induced Asthma my entire life; I was just never good enough at any sport for anyone to really look into the issue.  Running has always felt impossible – running more than 100 meters would cause me to gasp for air.  With the help of CrossFit, I have strengthened my lungs and can run 800 meters before I feel like I want to die.  Yet the hatred I have for running still burns deep within me.

In Good Company: Breathe
I do not own the rights to this image.

I am a big fan of the indoors.  Like I always say, I really do prefer my air to be purchased.  I think it’s because being outside makes me feel like a bag of shit.  Likely because my allergies (which are fairly bad seeing as we live in one of the worst areas for allergy sufferers in the entire country) have negatively affected the asthma I didn’t know I had.


In Good Company: Breathe
I do not own the rights to this image.


So back to the Adult-Onset Asthma.  I use a daily preventative inhaler now.  And also a rescue inhaler to use prior to exposure to cold, dry air, pollen saturated air, extreme heat, high humidity, and before/during exercise.  So, pretty much every day.

The difference has been incredible.  I am sleeping better, waking more rested, breathing more efficiently during workouts, tolerating outdoor air with not much more than itchy eyes, and I have more energy.  I guess oxygen is pretty important.

In Good Company: Breathe
I do not own the rights to this image.


My doctor and I hope that if we can keep my lungs healthy, my season of sickness each year – which lasts from Thanksgiving to Valentine’s Day – will become minimal.  If this happens, then I can probably avoid the allergy shots he suggested.

While I still prefer the great indoors, this weather we are having in Kansas right now is just divine.  I have felt a spark in my soul that I haven’t felt in a while.  It just feels…. cleansing.  As I write on this January evening, my windows are open and my curtains are blowing in the soft breeze.  I want to be outside.

Yesterday I took The Girls on a walk while Little K rode his bike ahead of us; then we went to the park.  Today Little K and I played baseball and football in the front yard.  It felt like a fleeting gift to have the sun shine down warm on my shoulders.

In Good Company: Breathe
Little K, Ruby Sue, and Daisy Louise enjoying the fresh air.


I know that winter weather will return before spring finally arrives for good, but until then I am thankful to get to breathe in the sunshine.




Like this post?  Try these:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment below!